Pages

Friday, June 20, 2008

Dachshund Day: One Dachshund's Account

'Clancy' meets his daughter 'Midget' at Dachshund Day in Great Falls, Montana.

We've got a special submission today from our red smooth pal 'Clancy,' who hails from Chicago, Illinois. Clancy flew all the way to Great Falls, Montana, last weekend to attend the 10th and last Annual Dachshund Day, an event which raised over $15,000 for The American Cancer Society over the years. Way to go! Enjoy Clancy's thrilling and hilarious account of the event. It will make your day!

I just flew in from Montana, and boy are my legs tired. Actually, they're tired from thrashing around like the Tasmanian Devil all the way from Great Falls, Montana, to Denver to Chicago. First I lulled my folks into a false sense of confidence, when they remembered how placid I had been in my Sherpa bag under the seat when they brought me to live with them 5 years ago. Then I let them believe that a good dose of Pet Calm would actually calm me. The more fools they! I report with pride that they had to dispose of the thoroughly shredded carrier – more holes than bag, thanks to my strong teeth and nails – in a trash container at O'Hare and carry me through the airport in my familiar and trusted Take-A-Long Bag, in clear violation of posted policy.
But though I was the unhappiest of travelers going to and coming from Montana, I have to admit that I thoroughly enjoyed the Tenth And Final Dachshund Day. You read about the event right here in Maggie and Joey's blog last week, but I'm here to give you a first-hand account by a fellow who was on site.
Staged by 2 Dogs Long, where I was a stud dog before my retirement, Dachshund Day has raised money for the American Cancer Society since 1998. But Bill and Becky Burguess, who run the kennel, are stepping down now. The time and effort and money needed to pull this event together just got to be too much, and today's economy means that people can't give as much to charity as they used to. Bill and Becky were always good to me, and I know that stepping away from this job isn't a decision they made lightly.
The week before the event was not promising. It included a snow storm (yes, in June), then high winds and a torrential downpour. But when Dachshund Day arrived, the temperature was in the low 70s, the breeze was mild, and the sky was cloudless. And the setting couldn't have been better. The Montana State Expo Park has an area that provides both plenty of sun and plenty of shade – take your pick – as well as a nice pavilion and a spacious stage. And it's surrounded by beautiful Art Deco buildings.
But it's all about us dachshunds, folks, and we were the stars of the show. Dachshunds wherever you looked, and many representations of dachshunds at the raffle table. My mom won a beautiful handmade tote bag, featuring a dachshund adorned with a real metal tag commemorating the day. There were many races and contests, and that was kind of a bummer for me. I thought I was a shoo-in for the distinction of "furthest traveled." I mean, it's 1,400 miles from Chicago to Great Falls. But then up steps a little wirehair who claimed to be from Germany. Well, he was from Germany. But he's lived in Montana for three years and didn't have to get there underneath a seat in an airplane just the day before. But it was a day for fun and good feeling, so I didn't kick up a fuss.
I met one of my daughters, a little piebald girl named Midget. She's quite good-looking. She gets that from my side of the family. I forgave her for not remembering to bring me a Father's Day present.
When the day was over, more than $2,000 had been raised for cancer research. Not as much as last year, but nothing to be ashamed of either.
And when we got back to Chicago, I got the best treat of all. My folks promised me that I will never have to go on an airplane again.

The winner of the Dachsie Dash

The winner of the Costume Contest

2 comments:

CLU said...

I love western Montana, and this must be why. Well, the mountains help =). Thanks for letting us know what plane trips are like - my mom and dad will not get me one now! ~Sonny

joyful paws said...

I love reading about your adventures, Clancy! Way to go on tearing throuugh your carry on. We should be allowed on planes just like people I think!
Glad you had a great time in Montana!
Luv,
Frankie (the walk 'n roll dog)
www.joyfulpaws.com

Related Posts with Thumbnails