Thursday, September 10, 2009

Dachshund Survives Mouse Poison Ingestion Thanks To Blood Transfusion From Labrador

In a scary yet heartwarming story, a 4-year-old, 85-pound chocolate labrador retriever named 'Ginger' is a hero after her humans agreed to allow her to donate blood to 'Jerzee,' a 3-year-old miniature dachshund who ingested either mouse poison, or a mouse who had ingested mouse poison. Jerzee, who hails from Cedar Point, Kansas, became ill in the middle of August, and her human, Cristi Soyez, took her to the vet after noticing she wasn't getting better, and had blood in her stools.
The Animal Health Clinic of Marion County recognized poison ingestion and contacted Ginger's humans to see if they would be willing to donate her blood for a transfusion. They did so with "no hesitation," and Jerzee is happy and healthy today thanks to Ginger.

“So, when you see a 15-pound dog in Cedar Point, pointing out birds and retrieving, that is Jerzee — part doxie and part Labrador,” Soyez said. “This just goes to show that blood donors come in all shapes, sizes, and species.”

Read the fascinating story which will rekindle your faith in mankind at the Hillsboro Star-Journal.

1 comment:

Robert said...

This is a perfect example of why people with pets should use electronic mouse traps, like those Multi-Kills. Mouse poison and snap traps are too dangerous for kids and pets.

Related Posts with Thumbnails