Pages

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

The Oldest Dachshund in the World: Meet Rocky!


Thanks to a good friend for sending us a link where we meet seasoned red smooth 'Rocky.'  The handsome chap who hails from Shingle Springs, California, will turn 25-years-old next March!  That's 175 years in dog years, and he is probably the oldest Dachshund on record.  Rocky is seen here with his human, Robert Rowland.  Excerpt from the Mountain Democrat:

“C’mere, baby, c’mere Rocky — you’ve got company,” shouted Rowland, 73, who admittedly has to raise his voice to summon his pal of nearly a quarter-century. Sure enough, the coaxing brings forth Rocky, wobbling maybe a bit, but picking up speed as he headed from the bedroom of the sprawling ranch-style home and into the living room to check out the team from the Mountain Democrat.
Rowland dropped to the carpeted floor where he had spread out decades worth of photos of him and Rocky, and the old dachshund made his way over to his “dad,” swiping Rowland’s bare leg with a long lick before tooling on toward the front door.
“I’ve had Rocky since he was 2 weeks old; I had the pick of the litter,” Rowland explained as he pointed out a photo of the dachshund, in much younger days, riding around with him on a tractor. “I bottle fed him and he’s been with me all these years. We would go fishing, and to car shows … he would go practically everywhere I would go.”
A Google search shows that the oldest known dog, an Australian cattle dog named Bluey, lived to be 29 years and 160 days before dying in 1939. But among dachshunds, Rocky is at the top of the stairs as the two of that breed that made the Google list include one that lived 21 years, 114 days and another that lived 20 years, 243 days.
Rowland, who was riding a bicycle up his driveway when the Democrat arrived, attributed Rocky’s longevity to being active.
“He never stops moving during the day,” he said, as Rocky toodled across the lawn outside toward a clump of low bushes. “In his younger days he hopped like a bunny in the snow, and he’d get on a gopher hole and stay on it. He’d also chase cows when he was younger, and he even killed a possum once.

Here's to 25 years!  Read more about Rocky at the Mountain Democrat. 



Read about more of the oldest Dachshunds on record in the archives. 

30 comments:

Angels Amber and Max DaWeenie and Mom said...

Way ta go, Rocky. May you have many more birthdays!

Jane S. said...

Well bless his heart! Here's hoping he has many years to come. :)

Anne said...

Hi sweet white face!!! cheers to you dashing Rocky!!!
we think you are AMAZING!!
tail wags and kisses!
-Roxie Lou, Coco Beane and Annie Em

Janey said...

You rock Rocky! Cheers to many more!

Lovable Lily said...

Rocky, you are amazing! Bless ya my furend.

Hugs,
Lily Belle

Geneva's mom said...

What a wonderful dog. And so handsome! Hope you have many more happy years, Rocky.

Unknown said...

Rocky is a handsome boy. He & my little girl doxie, Slick, could have a senior doggy love affair. She is 19 or 20 years old. We adopted her in 2002 & the people we got her from thought she was either 9 or 10. She is white faced also. Doxies are special.

Anonymous said...

U go rocky! I have a dachshund, gretchen who turned 18 last month....hope she follows rocky's lead! Dachshunds rock!

Anonymous said...

My aunt has a dachshund he is 19 years old but sadly we have to put him down tomorrow. I hope rocky has many more years to see.

Tommy B said...

My Wiener dog turns 15 this year! :)

Marcia Trackwell said...

God love his little soul!!! They are absolutely amazing animals. My dachshund, Odie, just turned 19 on March 18th. He is just like having a baby. He has brought me so much joy over all the years, I owe it to him to see him though these tough senior years!!

kdbump said...

Any updates on Rocky?

Laura said...

I was looking to see if there were updates on Rocky myself.. searching the internet also.

Unknown said...

we have one that is 25 years old, she is both blind and deft, but can still get around on her on.
Ron Baxley here in south Al, you can find me on fb

Weezer said...

Does anyone know if Rocky is still living?

Anonymous said...

our dachshund is really fat and is at 20 years old starting to go deaf :( still fairly active though

Unknown said...

Here in the South of Africa my parents also have a cross bred dachshund going on 20, almost there. She doesn't eat much but is round like a tick, due to less activity. A bit deaf but otherwise going strong.

Anonymous said...

hello all wondering if rocky is still kicking. I have a 19 year old Dachshund that still acts like he is a puppy hoping he will make 30 or more, though he is starting to get grey hair on his chin..

Anonymous said...

Aww cute keep going rocky!!!😂 you are so cute!!

Anonymous said...

I have a 15 year old doxie who still acts like a puppy!!!!! His favourite thing is to take a yearly trip to the beach and dig for sand crabs! I love him to death!!!!!!!!!!!

Anonymous said...

Our Abbey turned 18 on April 4th....we adore her!

Unknown said...

That's amazing! I wish my dachschies live that long! They are 9 and 10

Unknown said...

Woof woof from diggerjoe. I hope i look that good when im your age

sibel.bloom said...

Is the little angel Rocky still alive? I sure hope so, that would be such an amazing news... Go Rocky - live long!

Unknown said...

My Sadie girl is 17. Ahe is a long hair.

Alaska G. said...

Way to go Rocky! I'm curious if any of these doxies that have reached past 19 have ever had any seizures during they're younger years that doxies seem to have genetically? If any one has a Dixie like this can you please email me at gingermiles68@gmail.com I'd really appreciate it. Thanks

Anonymous said...

I work at a kennel and every 2-3 months we get an old dachshund that boards for a couple weeks. He turns 20 on October 9th

Tim said...

I wanted to ask, is there a “trick” to making your dog live longer? I cook meals for my dog hoping they will help. He gets chicken, carrots, and potato (sometimes sweet potato) both without skin. He’s a maltipoo. I want him to live as long as possible because he’s my only friend. Feel free to tell me some suggestions my email is timw.405@gmail.com maybe some vitamins or something I can add to his diet.

Anonymous said...

I have always been fascinated by Dashunds they are so loving and caring for their owners! I have the first two still going strong at 18&17 and I couldn't be prouder of the love and protection they give over the years!! GBT!!

Unknown said...

My dog name jack he is a male Weiner dog that's a dachshund and he is gonna be turnkng 13 in April and he still acts like a puppy he lovrs to chase laser light something what cats usually like to do so i guess he acts like a cat at timds

Related Posts with Thumbnails