Pages

Thursday, April 8, 2010

The Dachshund Speaks

The Dachshund Speaks
Illustration and words by Morgan Dennis, 1947

Because I waddle when I walk,
Should this give rise to silly talk
That I'm ungainly?  What's ungainly?
I'm really rather graceful - mainly.
The experts have been known to state
That there's a twinkle in our gait.
One said "They have a clumsy grace,"
Which after all is no disgrace.

My funny features may abound;
Short legs, long body, low-to-ground,
But I'm about the perfect pal
For man or woman, boy or gal.
I'm gentle, very playful, kind,
I housebreak fast 'cause I'm refined.
I'm smart but never sly or foxy -
No, do not underrate the dachsie!

This comes from a 1947 book of sketches and poems written and illustrated by Morgan Dennis (1892 - 1960).
Morgan Dennis was an American illustrator and author known primarily for his paintings of dogs. He was born in Boston, Massachusetts, and grew up on Long Island, New York.
See more of his work at American Art Archives.
 
Read more Dachshund Poetry

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi, Joey and Maggie,
DO YOUR EARS HANG LOW?
This is a tune my mother sang to us when we were kids. Now that I have dachshunds I wonder if it had anything to do with them. Here it is and does anybody know the origin?
Do your EARS hang low
Do they wobble to and fro
Can you tie them in a knot
Can you tie them in a bow
Can you throw them over your shoulder
Like a sailor does at sea
Oh do your EARs hang low?

ha, ha, ha, I still get a kick out of that tune.

Rowdy and Bette said...

Never heard that one, too funny. Would make great music for a doxie video!

Related Posts with Thumbnails