Thursday, July 30, 2009

Dachshund Survives Onion Overdose

Meet lucky little red smooth 'Rommel,' who hails from Hampstead, North Carolina. Rommel was attending a barbecue with his humans when a kabob fell on the ground, and you know what happened next. Yep, he ate the onion and got deathly ill, but thankfully had a full recovery after several days at the emergency vet and his regular vet. Star News notes:

Onions are extremely toxic to dogs in any form: raw, cooked, powdered or dehydrated. Onions contain a chemical called thiosulphate which is harmless to people; however, dogs (and cats) lack the ability to digest it. In a dog's body, it can cause red blood cells to rupture, leading to a potentially life-threatening form of anemia. Eating a little pizza with onions, or a bit of onion might not be harmful, since thiosulphate's effects are dose-dependent. Eat enough, however, and the animal might soon show vomiting and diarrhea.

Read more about Rommel, and find out more about common foods and ingredients that may be harmful to pets at Star News. We're glad to hear that Rommel is doing great.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Good to hear! Nice lookin puppah/

Related Posts with Thumbnails