Pages

Friday, October 23, 2009

A MISUNDERSTANDING: (I was talking to my dog!)


A MISUNDERSTANDING:  (I was talking to my dog!)
by Dawn Gaines for the American Dachshund, September, 1969

I talk to my dog a lot, and sometimes use gestures, too.
Although it seems ridiculous, this is what I do:
Before mealtime I say to him something very silly,
Pat his tummy and ask, "Getting hungry in the belly?"

There was twenty feet between us and the court next to ours.
In this sunny little space my neighbor planted flowers.
Our kitchen window was so high I couldn't see a bloom,
But from the open window the aroma filled the room.

How could I know my neighbor was there among the flowers?
(She had a way of growing things and fussed with them for hours.
Working with them there on this hundred-ten degree day,
It was much too hot to work, but she pulled weeds anyway.)

High noon and Bully Boy went into the kitchen with me.
For two hot days he hadn't eaten - now he must be hungry.
Made myself a sandwich of peanut butter and jelly,
Then to my dog I said "Are you hungry in the belly?"

Up popped my startled neighbor from the court next door to ours.
She thought that she was hearing things while weeding out her flowers.
"I shouldn't be working so hard," she told me with a frown.
"This heat is getting me today.  I think I'll go lie down."

Her expression surprised me so, I didn't know what to say.
Besides I felt so stupid, talking to my dog that way!
She hurried off so quickly, I had no time to explain
That I was talking to my dog, and she was really sane!

Have a great Friday.

1 comment:

Charlotte said...

You mean, everyone doesnt? lol!

((hugs)) your friends
Oskar, Schatzi & Xena

Related Posts with Thumbnails