Pages

Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Dachshund Domination Continues: Dachshund Makes UK Top 20 For First Time

Who, Me?

The UK's Kennel Club trumped the US' AKC by releasing their 2010 registration statistics early this year (we are expecting AKC's any day now) with interesting results: a huge increase in the number of registrations for what they term Handbag Dogs - or dogs carried in bags as fashion accessories.  While we would never consider ourselves a fashion accessory - Dachshunds never go out of style - the Pug, Chihuahua, and Dachshund made huge strides in registration numbers. 
For the first time ever, the Miniature Smooth-Haired Dachshund made it into the top 20 with 2,802 registrations, 12 percent up on 2009 and 72 percent up on 2005.  It's also interesting to note that UK's Kennel Club counts the Dachshund as 6 different breeds - smooth, mini smooth, longhair, mini longhair, wirehair, mini wirehair - and the AKC doesn't do this in their statistics.  In fact, if you add up all the Dachshund registration numbers, the Dachshund as a whole rises to number 12 in popularity in the UK, with 5,483 total registrations. 
Of course, we don't feel that this is the best news for the Dachshund breed as a whole:  popularity leads to irresponsible breeders and owners.  But we're so stinking cute, how can we not be popular?

See The Kennel Club's stats at their official site.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cooooooool.
Liz

Anonymous said...

Even my Mom says I'm "so CUTE"...that started out when I was a puppy as "If you weren't so cute and I'd give you to the first person who'd take you". That usually occurred when I'd eaten her favorite shoes or when she'd taken me outside for 45 minutes and I came in and pooed on the floor, so I wasn't perfect! Hey, Hey I stayed cute and I'm still here! Dachshunds Rule! Baron

Related Posts with Thumbnails