Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

Those Special Dachshunds: Doxieized!

Meet Windy, Tinker, and Gretel.

Thanks so much to Lori St. Clair for writing in and sending such a beautiful photo of her beloved trio 'Windy,' 'Tinker,' and 'Gretel.'   We loved reading this and know that you will too.  Lori writes:

Dear Joey and Maggie,

I started reading your website because you were mentioned in
Dachshund Delights and I have enjoyed it immensely. I thought I would
tell you how I got "Doxieized" as my good friend tells it.

In November 1947, on a cold winter night, a Doxie was born somewhere
deep in the City of Chicago. On the same day, I was born many miles
away in Colorado. My grandmother, Nana, wanted a Doxie. She had fallen
in love with them and searched far and wide. Some 7-8 weeks after my
birth, Nana went on her quest and found a loving, friendly male pup that
decided he was going to be hers. Unbeknownst to her it was a temporary
ownership.

My mom finally brought me back to Chicago to live and that
is when I first met my dearest and closest friend "Fritz". He decided
that when I was at Nana's he owned me. Nothing my Nana did would
convince him to obey her. That baby (me) was his and his alone. We
grew up the best of friends. Shortly after moving to Chicago, my family
moved next door to him and Nana so we were together every day. When I
was home, he would leave my Nana and spend his time with me until my
bedtime.

For 18 years we were the closest friends ever. He knew all my
joys, tears, fears, and sorrows. He was always there for me. He shared
my joy when I met my first boyfriend and was there to comfort me when we
broke up. He also let me know which boyfriends he approved of. When my
best friend died, he didn't leave my side and would not go home to Nana
until I had finished dealing with my sorrow. He died just before our 18th
birthday - the saddest day of my life.

Fast forward to 2003. I was wanting a small dog after always having
large ones since Fritz died. My daughter told me about a miniature long
haired Doxie that she had heard about. Hmmmmm finally after all these
years.....could it be? Yes, there she was... the sweetheart of them all.
She picked me...she just curled up in my lap and went straight to sleep.
She is my mini best friend. I thought my life was complete once again.

But no, as you all know, Doxies are like potato chips - you just can't
have one. She now has two sisters. My life is full of Doxies and I am
SOOOOOO Doxieized. They are my joy.

I don't have a photo of my Fritz but enclosed is a shot of my "girls"
Windy, Tinker, and Gretel.

Keep on truckin' Joey, we are so glad you are doing better.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

YOur little darlings are gorgeous!!!

Anne said...

my favorite line "Doxies are like potato chips - you just can't have one!"!!! ain't that the truth!!! yours are C-U-T-E!!

Keren Hening said...

O.K., this is a Cute Overload Alert!!! Circuits are about to explode from cuteness!!! Everyone stop drooling on your keyboards!!!

Anonymous said...

I love it! We have three that look EXACTLY like that, a black and tan shorthair named Murphy, a black and tan longhair named Charlie and a brown longhair named Brownie.

Related Posts with Thumbnails