Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Dachshund Owner Raises Concerns Over Popular Dog Chew Toy


(Trouble viewing the video? Click where it should be or check it out at CBS5)

Whether your dog ingests squeakies from inside a toy, or batteries from inside a toy - it's never a good thing.  Always take the toy away once they've ripped it open.  We've got a feeling that any toy which has animated sounds most likely has batteries inside - something to be extra cautious about.  Via CBS5 out of Phoenix, Arizona:

Mary Snyder couldn't believe it when her mother-in-law's dachshund Mollie ripped apart a chew toy and left three little batteries lying on the floor.
"Who thought that made sense (to make a chew toy like that)? A dog chews," said Snyder. "I was livid."
The product she's concerned about is the Pet Shoppe Chirping Bird Plush dog toy. CBS 5 found it for sale at several local Walgreen's stores.
Veterinarian Suzanne Johnsen, of Van Aken Pet Hospital in Phoenix, said batteries, especially larger ones, can pose a choking hazard for pets. They can also be dangerous if ingested because leakage of alkali can damage internal organs.
"If they chew on them, they can also release significant amounts of mercury," said Johnsen.
Snyder said when she went back to Walgreens and dissected the toy to show the manager, the store immediately took the product off the shelves.
"Most people have puppies and children. So the dog tears the toy apart. The battery's on the floor and we have another tragedy," said Snyder. "I want those toys pulled. I want every single one of those toys pulled off the shelves."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the heads up. I will certainly check out any new toy I get for my pups. Cheers

Julie said...

Wow, this is scary.

Related Posts with Thumbnails