Pages

Monday, December 10, 2007

The Piebald Dachshund Controversy

Joey at ten weeks. "I wear my heart on my sleeve."

Joey can't sleep nights. He's having an identity crisis. Piebald dachshunds are seen all throughout the history of dachshunds, but they're not in the AKC breed standard. Joey says that the piebald pattern is a legacy of the breeds that went into creating the dachshund that we know and love today.
Thanks to Krystal G. for sending the link to a new website: Save the Piebalds. Here, you can sign a petition to request that piebalds be added to the breed standard. In just over 2 months, there are over 700 signatures.

Joey at 6.5 years. "For if I am not dachshund, then what am I?"

Drawing from 1910 detailing a black and tan long-hair, smooth, and smooth piebald dachshund


Related: Iris Love talks about Piebalds in Wiener Takes All

Related: Joey talks about His Piebald People

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My pie Wrigley signed the petition today. He's the first Piebald I've had and by far the sweetest doxie I've owned (I've had 5) Go to page 31 #766 for the cutest picture ever of a Pie!

Anonymous said...

I signed the petition today too! I'm puppy shopping and have just fallen in love with the Piebald puppies and will be bringing one home regardless, but I'm offended that the AKC doesn't recognize them!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails